Monday, August 17, 2026

Reports: Banda cleared by FIFA to play for Al Swehly despite Lecce dispute

Chipolopolo Boys forward Lameck Banda has reportedly been cleared by FIFA to feature for Libyan side Al Swehly SC despite an ongoing contractual dispute with Italian club US Lecce.

African football expert Micky Jnr confirmed the development, saying Al Swehly had successfully secured the Zambia international after beating Lecce to his signature.

“Another success for Swehly! 🇱🇾 Well done to the mastermind behind this one. This time, they have beaten Italian club Lecce to secure the deal,” Micky Jnr said.

“Banda’s ITC has now been delivered to Libya. He is officially ready to play for the Libyan giants in the CAF Champions League this season after signing a three-year deal.”

Banda is understood to have agreed a three-year contract with Al Swehly, with the move paving the way for him to feature in the club’s CAF Champions League campaign.

The Libyan champions will face Zanzibar side KVZ FC in the first preliminary round. If they progress, they will meet Tunisian giants Espérance Sportive de Tunis in the second round.

Lecce dispute hangs over move

Banda’s move to Al Swehly comes amid a contractual dispute with Lecce, with the Italian club maintaining that the 25-year-old remains under contract until June 2027.

Lecce president Saverio Sticchi Damiani previously said the club had exercised an option to extend Banda’s contract and claimed the player had signed a document agreeing to the renewal.

The Italian club had also referred the matter to FIFA after Banda failed to return for pre-season, with Lecce seeking clarification over his contractual status and potential sanctions.

Al Swehly, however, reportedly disputes Lecce’s position and believes Banda was free to leave after the option was not mutually agreed through a new contract.

Why can Banda play despite the dispute?

The development is linked to changes to FIFA’s regulations following the 2024 European Court of Justice ruling in the Lassana Diarra case.

Under the amended framework, an ongoing contractual dispute does not necessarily prevent a player from being registered with a new club. A player can be provisionally registered while FIFA’s relevant tribunal determines the underlying dispute.

That means Banda’s reported clearance does not necessarily settle the disagreement between him and Lecce.

If Lecce succeeds in proving that Banda breached a valid contract without just cause, the player could still face a compensation claim. FIFA would also have to determine whether Al Swehly played a role in inducing any contractual breach.

For now, however, the reported delivery of Banda’s International Transfer Certificate means the Zambia international is eligible to represent Al Swehly in the CAF Champions League.

The case between Banda, Lecce and Al Swehly is therefore likely to continue through FIFA’s dispute-resolution process, even as the winger prepares to begin a new chapter in Libya.

Aaron Mubanga
Aaron Mubangahttps://zambianfootball.co.zm
Aaron Mubanga Jr is a Zambian copywriter, digital content strategist, and sports communications specialist with over 15 years of experience in media, brand storytelling, and digital audience growth. He is the Editor-in-Chief of ZamFoot, one of Zambia’s leading football platforms, where he has built a digital community reaching more than users. Aaron has worked with brands and organizations including Betway, Cola Holding, the ABSA Cup, and the Football and Allied Workers Union, while also managing the digital presence of prominent sports personalities such as Barbra Banda. An award-winning Sports Writer, Blogger and respected football analyst, he regularly contributes to major television and radio platforms across Zambia and internationally.

Related Articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

52,000FansLike
9,690FollowersFollow
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Trending