Kalusha Bwalya: I am not guilty, FIFA decision is not final
Football icon Kalusha Bwalya has expressed surprise that FIFA has issued him a two year ban on allegation of corruption stating that his not guilty.
In a statement released by Kalusha following the announcement of his ban earlier in the day, the celebrated 1988 African Footballer of the year stated that he has instructed his legal team to immediately appeal the decision.
FIFA announced on Friday that the adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee banned Kalusha, a member of the executive committee of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), for two years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) at both national and international level.
FIFA further stated that the investigation against Mr Bwalya was opened on 28 February 2017, and focused principally on benefits that Mr Bwalya had received from Mr Bin Hammam.
Kalusha was found guilty of having violated art. 16 (Confidentiality) and art. 20 (Offering and accepting gifts and other benefits) of the FIFA Code of Ethics. A fine in the amount of CHF 100,000 was also imposed on him.
BELOW IS THE OFFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM KALUSHA BWALYA
10th August 2018
I the undersigned KALUSHA BWALYA
Do hereby state that: –
- I am surprised and saddened by today’s receipt of the notification from the FIFA Ethics Committee adjudication.
- I have instructed my legal team to immediately appeal this decision urgently and would like to state that I am NOT guilty of any offence, which allegedly took place.
- I have never done and will never do anything to bring the beautiful game into disrepute and stand by the facts provided by me to the committee.
- I unfortunately cannot provide any further details as my legal team has advised I that this would jeopardize my chances of obtaining leave to appeal.
- FIFAs decision is not final and I will fight tooth and nail for justice to clear my name.
- I thank all my fans for their on-going support.
Wedson Nyirenda wins first trophy for Baroka as Shonga, Nkausu miss spot kicks
Former Chipolopolo coach Wedson Nyirenda has inspired Baroka FC to their first ever trophy whenRead More
Brenda Zulu crowned miss Zesco United fan Club as Kambole scoops fans player of the year
Zesco United fans on Friday held a successful event, The first ever miss Zesco UnitedRead More