Rachel Kundananji’s BIIK Kazyugurt through to Women’s UEFA Champions League last 16
Zambia Women’s national team striker Rachel Kundananji and her Kazakhstan side BIIK Kazyugurt have qualified to UEFA Women’s Champions League round of 16 after they beat Ukrainian outfit WFC-2 Kharkiv on Wednesday.
Kundananji’s won the tie on away goals rule after a 2-2 goal aggregate as the Ukrainian side won 2-1 at their home before losing on Wednesday in Shymkent. BIIK Kazyugurt is returning to the round of 16 for a second year running after they were eliminated by Bayern Munich last year at this same stage.
BIIK will only know their opponents next year as the round of 16 draws is scheduled for 16 February with the ties set for 3/4 & 10/11 March.
Holders Lyon, Wolfsburg, Barcelona, Paris, Atlético, Bayern, and Manchester City are also through while Fiorentina joined BIIK with a last-gasp strike.
The match between Vålerenga and Brøndby in the only remaining fixtures and will take place on 7 and 14 February after UEFA confirmed it’s postponement.
- Lyon saw off Juventus to make it 24 wins out of 24 in the 12 seasons of the round of 32 (which will be replaced in the new format from 2021/22 including a 16-team group stage).
- Last season’s runners-up Wolfsburg and beaten semi-finalists Paris and Barcelona also eased through as did Bayern and Atlético, who both fell in 2019/20 last eight.
- Servette and PSV lost their debut European ties to respectively Atlético and Barça, for who Lieke Martens struck twice on her birthday.
- Daniele Sabatino scored five minutes into added time to send Fiorentina through at Slavia.
Manchester City dashed Göteborg’s hopes of reaching the final in their home town to go through along with Chelsea.
- Lanchkhuti, who was the first Georgian side to get through a round of this competition, exited to Rosengård, who could yet be Swedish finalists in Gothenburg.
- Minsk just missed out on a famous comeback at LSK but have already assured their return for next season via their domestic league, as has another side eliminated in this round, Göteborg.
- Fortuna, like Lyon and Brøndby ever-present in the round of 32, progressed for the 11th time in 12 attempts.
- Last season’s quarter-finalists Glasgow City fell to another club with last-eight experience, Sparta Praha.
- St. Pölten and Vålerenga, yet to complete their ties, are the only remaining clubs that came through qualifying. Vålerenga is also the last debutants standing.
- The round of 16 draws is on 16 February with the ties scheduled for 3/4 & 10/11 March.
Wednesday 16 December
BIIK-Kazygurt 1-0 WFC-2 Kharkiv (agg: 2-2, BIIK win on away goals)
Slavia Praha 0-1 Fiorentina (agg: 2-3)
Paris Saint-Germain 6-1 Górnik Łęczna (agg: 8-1)
Manchester City 3-0 Göteborg (agg: 5-1)
Barcelona 4-1 PSV Eindhoven (agg: 8-2)
Bayern München 3-0 Ajax (agg: 6-1)
Wolfsburg 2-0 Spartak Subotica (agg: 7-0)
Rosengård 10-0 Lanchkhuti (agg: 17-0)
LSK Kvinner 0-1 Minsk (agg: 2-1)
Fortuna Hjørring 3-2 Pomurje (agg: 6-2)
Chelsea 3-0 Benfica (agg: 8-0)
Glasgow City 0-1 Sparta Praha (agg: 1-3)
Tuesday 15 December
Lyon 3-0 Juventus (agg: 6-2)
Atlético Madrid 5-0 Servette (agg: 9-2)
Copper Queens trio to finally start off from Chile…Expected in Zambia on Monday
Zambia Women’s National Team players Maylan Mulenga, Barbra Banda, and Grace Chanda are expected toRead More
Copper Queens’ quest for World Cup qualification receives a boost as CAF gets an extra slot allocation
The Copper Queens quest of qualifying to the World Cup has been boosted after theRead More