Player rating: Zambia vs Eswatini
Zambia national team played out to a 2-2 draw with Eswatini in the second leg final round qualifier of the Cameroon 2020 CHAN tournament.
The ZamFoot Crew was on hand and now gives its rating for the Chipolopolo players.
1. Toaster Nsabata 6/10 – Had a good first half. Could have done better with his first touch of the ball for the second goal but was massively exposed for the Eswatini opener
2. Simon Silwimba 7/10 – Solid defending and made a nuisance of himself going forward. Nothing passed his end.
3. Mwila Phiri 5/10 – The weakest link in the backline. Poor sense of position, not solid and failed to deliver any deadly crosses he is known for.
4. Adrian Chama 7/10 – Excellent when it came to one on one challenges. He was hardly beaten on the ground but showed nerves when the pressure was high.
5. Clement Mwape 9/10 – Excellent and assured performance. Hardly put a foot wrong. He was winning everything in the air and on the ground with impeccable timing. What a performance on the day!
6. Benson Sakala 7/10 – A good individual performance complemented well by the presence of Katema. Zambia looked good in midfield in the first half as he was covering the spaces well and winning balls
7. Amit Shamenda 6/10 – Provided the assist for the opener. He had a lot of space to exploit on either flank in the second half but took one too many touches leaving his fellow attackers in offside positions.
8. Paul Katema 8/10 – He was just about the best player on the pitch in the first half. Crude in his approach, but he was the extra man when defending, in the midfield and attack. His work rate made up for his lack of flair, but he fizzled out in the second half
9. Tapson Kaseba 6/10 – He failed to hit the target even when found with space in the box. Unfortunately, the fans were on his case and calling for his substitution as early as the 27th minute. To his credit, he made one solo run from near the center but was brilliantly denied by the goalie.
10. Emmanuel Chabula 9/10 – A stellar performance, two goals on the day, clinical in front of goal. Made the right runs into the channels, into the wide areas and was trying to create for his strike partners. He was hitting the target from range, with headers in the box and was Zambia’s biggest threat.
11. Mubanga Kampamba 7/10 – The visitors were failing to cope with his creative attacking runs and he was denied by the brilliance of the keeper twice when he shot from afar. He was great when Zambia was on top but did very little to support his team in defending when the chips were down.
Charles Zulu 8/10 – In for Chabula. He hit Eswatini with pace and creativity. Their left-back could not cope and he was Zambia’s best outlet when the team played on the back foot. Always looked like something good would happen when he was on the ball
Youremember Banda 7/10 – On for Kaseba. Deployed in an unusual center forward position. He created space for the runners and was unlucky to see his left-footed ferocious shot saved and after being played through from the midfield.
Coach Aggrey Chiyangi 4/10
He had a good game plan and the visitors had no answer to what he threw at them in the first half. The midfield partnership of Sakala and Katema was winning the balls finding the runners in the channels and wide areas.
Once Eswatini sent an extra body in the final third, it is appalling how he failed to respond. Even at the time, Zambia scores the second, it was against the run of play and unfortunately, he substituted his best-attacking option for a wide player still leaving the midfield massively exposed.
Without a recognizable striker on the bench, he succumbed to pressure and substituted his only remaining striker for a midfielder Banda who went in the center forward position again failing to sort out the issue in midfield.
By the time he made a change in midfield, Eswatini had come from two goals down and on the verge of qualification and Zambia was only saved by the woodwork in the final minutes. In the end, he got the job done over the two legs and Zambia will play at the finals
CHIPOLOPOLO TO TAKE PART IN FOUR NATIONS TOURNAMENT HOSTED BY UGANDA
The Chipolopolo Boys will take part in a Four-Nation tournament that will run from MarchRead More
IS IT FAIR FOR CHIYANGI TO BE SIDELINED FOR CHAN TOURNAMENT? …..Chiyangi qualified Zambia & won COSAFA Cup in 2019
Two years ago the Football Association of Zambia, FAZ hired Belgian coach Sven Vandenbroeck asRead More