Nkana FC is a Zambian football club based in Kitwe that plays in the MTN/FAZ Super Division. It is largely Zambia’s most successful and popular football club. They play their home games at Nkana Stadium in Wusakili, Kitwe.
The club is currently sponsored by Mopani Copper Mines.
Nkana FC is one of Zambia’s oldest football clubs having been formed in 1935 in Kitwe’s Wusakili township. The club was founded under the name of Rhokana United FC before it changed to Nkana Red Devils. In 1990, they were runners-up in the African Cup of Champions, the only Zambian team to ever reach the finals.
Over the years, Nkana have accumulated a record of success having won the Premier League title twelve times, most recently in 2013.
On 23 May 2014, head coach Masautso Mwale died in a road traffic accident on the eve of the home game against Séwé Sport of the Ivory Coast in the Group B in the 2014 CAF Confederation Cup. The accident occurred near Maposa area and his car overturned several times as he was driving back to join the team in camp in Kitwe.
- African Cup of Champions Clubs Runners-up: 1
- Zambian Premier League: 12
- 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1999, 2001, 2013
- Zambian Cup: 6
- 1986, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2000
- Zambian Challenge Cup: 7
- 1964, 1966 (as Rhokana United)
- 1992, 1993, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Zambian Charity Shield: 3
Performance in CAF competitions
- CAF Champions League: 3 appearances
- 2000 – Second Round
- 2002 – Second Round
- 2014 – Second Round
- African Cup of Champions Clubs: 9 appearances
- CAF Cup Winners’ Cup: 2 appearances
- 1998 – Quarter-Finals
- 2001 – Second Round
- CAF Cup: 1 appearance
- 1999 – Second Round
- NewsThe MTN/FAZ Super League action continues with one rescheduled game in midweek and ten matches over the weekend. First up ...
Read MoreThe MTN/ FAZ Super League will enter week seven of action with three matches set to be beamed live by ...
Read MoreThe MTN/FAZ Super League will this weekend enter week five with a Copperbelt derby headlining the fixtures. Nkana fresh from ...
Read MoreNkana football club has been eliminated from the CAF confederation cup despite a narrow one nil home win in their ...